You’ve just received the call you’ve been hoping for. You’re about to be interviewed on a local talk show. Here are some tips to help you prepare for a successful interview:
- Clarify your communication objective(s).
- Determine how the interview might offer you the chance to make positive points or provide helpful information about your topic/issue/organization.
- Write down and practice key message points in brief statements or bullet points.
- Remove jargon or long explanations.
- Have back up data to support your points if appropriate. Review facts and figure so you are comfortable discussing them.
- Get to know the media outlet — what type of program is it? Who is their target audience? What is the interview format? Length? Live? Taped? Solo or multi-guests?
- If you are part of a group, make sure everyone has the same message!
Always thank the host immediately after the interview and let them know you’re available to come back any time they may need you in the future.